I really love it when others post often so....

I will do my part to keep the stuff going.

These are some pics from Sunday and the blue bee, of course!
Okay, if there is someone out there who knows what this is:
Please leave a comment, cuz' it's giving me the creepies to think about a bee and a fly hooking up.

Ethan has been begging me to do a family easter egg hunt, so I finally gave in.

I realized (soon after all the eggs were found) that all the doe eyed whiny persuasion was merely a means to an end. candy, Candy, CANDY!

They ate 4 bags of candy, miraculously stuffed into a mere 40+ small eggs.

We actually had (hidden) left-overs, but in the time it took us to blink, they had found it and gorged it all.

What I don't understand is how they didn't get sick at all. I was nauseated after 5 pieces of candy. And I have a sweet tooth. Bad. sweeeet tooth.

Needless to say, We have to restrict most sweets at home for the sheer volume of insane requests (and perilous acrobatics) to procure said sweets.
"Mom, can I have a treat for not hitting baby Lilli?"
("I dunno, do I get a paycheck for not yelling at you?" incoherent whisper)

"Mom, can I have a treat?, I wiped myself!"
("Good, cuz I wasn't going to wipe you" muttered, while I wipe the pee off the floor.)

"Mom, you said I could have it"
"No, I said and I meant....",
"Yes, you did, you said I could have it"
Replay same conversation 4 times.
I insisted that he couldn't WITHOUT being totally crazy. (How futile is it to argue with a 3 year old about what you said, versus what you meant?)
Yes, power struggles with most anyone are fruitless and annoying. No matter how old they are.
Now the perilous acrobatics they engage in about 17 times a day: EVERY.SINGLE .DAY.
Would you like to know what they do?;
They climb the cabinets, get on the counter, SCALE the fridge, dodge the assortment of healthier foods and reach about 4 feet past their actual size, into a tall pantry that I cannot even reach.
What do I do? Applaud their physical strength and climbing skills and relish in their tenacity, their determination? Or do I just throw away the treats? Neither! I do nothing to change it, I keep hoping they will learn, without getting hurt.
The way they giggle at me, (me looking up at them from 4 feet below their feet), my reaction is such a mixture of frustration and apathy and..... Pride.
I know, I know, they could break their skulls but dang, I really don't worry about them starving to death, because they are so....... (insert a word to describe my kids)
They remind me of monkeys, but in a good way!
Of course, if I could just get them to bend down and pick up a few toys, so that I don't break something when I trip.......

You know the worst part? We still have 2 more easter egg hunts this weekend! How do I keep them away from all that candy!? I'm starting to think they think Easter is Candy Time, not the resurrection of Jesus.
I don't know if this old video will load but if it does, don't worry, no one gets hurt!

7 comments:

J D C and N said...

Ah Elisa, I feel ya! These kids of ours are well...monkeys in a good way, yes! I love your comments after each time you get asked for candy! haha I don't know what I would prefer: constant begging for things they can't have or constant crying or screaming. Either way I don't know how I stay sane most of the time...but then again maybe I'm not staying sane! haha I love the little video and how Bruce has to keep moving the other kids aside so Lilly can get her share! Too funny.

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

seriously! What is it with the climbing! Holy cow. Tally has 3 huge bruises on her head just from this week and Bergen's catching up!

Oh, and I think that's a horse fly! Maybe?

www.thesinglelifeofastudentwife.blogspot.com said...

ps. that video was so cute! I love seeing Lilli!!!!

nicolle said...

Couldn't see the video, dang. That is so funny that they climb like that to find the candy. Colette isn't very brave or monkey like in that sense, she doesn't climb much. I am really excited about easter egg hunts this year. One thing I keep hearing is that people put different things in the eggs and baskets. Like there can be a ticket in each egg so that the kids can have stuff they buy with the tickets...the nice part is that YOU (the parent) gets to decide what they can buy with the tickets, like it can be toys, clothes, lunch somewhere fun (Mickey D's may not be the healthiest choice but it is better than straight sugar and will probably have a playground for them to burn off energy) or you told me that they like fruits a lot so you can trade tickets for fruit. Just some ideas. Lots of love

Jeni said...

So funny! You totally made me laugh! I know how you feel about all the Easter Egg Hunts this weekend. I think I'm going to forgo our own little family hunt since there will be so many others. I may have them do an egg hunt where they find eggs with little pieces of things about Jesus and the resurrection in them. At least they might learn something - although I'm sure they will be devastated to find no candy! See you on Sunday!

Shannon said...

That was such a cute video, I love how ya'll had to keep "reminding" the big kids to back off Lilli's eggs! You are so nice though b/c when Nat bugs me for an egg hunt we hide the empty eggs all around the house! And even when she came home with full eggs from school the candy got dumped into the communal candy dish (aka Keith's candy dish). Cute pictures and so glad you updated!

Mubeen said...

That's too cute! Looks like a fun time!