Money management?

Just in case I get accused of plaigiarism, I am reading Suze Orman's book "Women and Money".
I wanted to post some or all of her ideas to help women become powerful in their relationship with money.
She starts with about 2-3 chapters about we are not in touch with our financial relationships and how destructive that can be. Mostly she tells us we are are scared, weak, lazy and then finally says to take control. It sounds like it's about a 5 month turnaround time to start owning our money.

Anyway, here are some of the first steps.
1-Balance your checkbook!
I'm not sure why. but I guess there are alot of people who are scared of doing this. I suck at it but I still do it.

2- Open a checking account that does not charge you for anything. This is to be your cash flow for bills only.

3-Open a savings account and put a specific amount auto debit (at least $20) every paycheck (get direct deposit if you don't already have it.)

We are trying something different ourselves. We add up our bills, make sure there is Enough in the account for these bills, then take any left over and put it in the savings account. If we check the account and there is not enough, we take what is needed and put it back in the checking. We also use a cash budget for groceries, that way we don't go over.

I'm starting to think check cards are evil.


I know this is probably annoying to some but I'm also doing this for us and I think if I post it, it will help me stay on track and keep track of any progress or failure.


Let me know if anyone wants to join me in doing this.

Just because I don't get a paper check each month, doesn't mean that I can't be financially secure!

1 comment:

nicolle said...

Hey I did the link and it says that you have to have a code from the book to start the account:S so unless you have an extra code I guess I can't do it:( Oh and I finally posted on Emily's blog...but to make it stand out I posted in Spanish, hehehe